Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Tobar Ardmore 5

Race number 4 in the Ger Wyley Sports/Skins West Waterford AC Summer Series took place in Ardmore last night, Friday May 23rd at 8pm. I took a lift up with Tom & Ray, and had a good pre-race warmup.

Mile 1: slightly downhill. I felt ok, and settled in to a nice rhythm with Kate Organ and Catherine Condon. Time 8:12
Mile 2: Going through the village, I felt the effort to stay with them too much, and they opened a gap of about 30 metres. Time: 8:39
Mile 3: I knew that this one was going to be slower as there was quite a long uphill section. I was happy to take it very easy for about 500metres before the hill, and when I got there, I pushed really hard. I was a bit surprised that I did have strength in legs to push uphill, and by the top I had closed the long gap to 10 metres. Time: 9:29
Mile 4: when I got back with both ladies, we settled in to a nice pace and kept it going. Time: 8:37
Mile 5: Just at the corner, I pushed on a little and again. I knew that there was a short tricky hill coming up. I pushed really hard again here, and even though I faded a bit on the last half mile, I was focused and able to catch three runners ahead of me by the time I got to the village. The last 100 metre sprint was a really hard effort, one that gave me great satisfaction. Time: 8:01


Overall, I am very happy with my running. In January I was at 47 minutes for the Kilmac 5, and I had very little stamina. three weeks ago in Portlaw I ran 43:21 for 5 miles, but the first mile was on a steep downhill course so it really was not a true time. Tonight, for the first time this year, I realised that my training  is paying off.

Touraneena 5k next week, and it will be interesting to get back to the shorter distance.

Photographs courtesy of Dave Coleman / John Coleman

No comments: